sheet metal
shopRPmachine.com
Home | Library | Buyers' Guide | Sheet Metal Industry Ads | Support | Forum Home Page

Go Back   The Sheet Metal Shop > Sheet Metal Forums > Tinsmith Avenue

Tinsmith Avenue For those seeking knowledge on past techniques used by yesteryears tinsmiths. The history of Tinsmith goes back in time farther then this place can travel, but for those who want to explore, please share your findings here.

Share This Forum!  

Old 06-05-2005, 05:18 AM
ME

Default History of Barn Stars?

Several months ago, when we had the short lived shoppass thing going one of the guest had developed the pattern for a raised star, the article was in the library and for the life of me, I can't find it. I do still have the book it was printed from and can redo that particular page..but every now and then I get a chance to leave this shop and travel around the internet and this time i found a person looking for a pattern or instructions on how to make these, so I invited her to visit our library and she sent to me an interesting email on the history of the barn stars for those looking to make some crafts...I thought I would share this email with our guest here (I left the name off the email for privacy matters)

Hi bud,
Here is what one looks like.
http://www.alibaba.com/img/product/p...9738788235.jpg

I also thought i would post you the history of the barn stars.

On many older American barns, particularly German farms, one could see a large decoration in the shape of a star mounted on the face of the barn.

These were called barn stars. Sometimes they were just aesthetic, but sometimes they represented the trademark of a specific barn builder. Although they go back to at least the 1820s in Pennsylvania, they were most popular after the American Civil War.

In modern times, barn stars have come to be known as signs of good fortune and luck.

What do the various colors mean?

Although, I was unable to find an exact color correlation to stars, I was able to determine that colors had significance with Amish and Pennsylvania Dutch barn paintings. These folk art designs, many of which were star shaped, were painted directly onto each end of the barn, and date back to the 1850ís.

Here is what I have been able to determine:

Black: Protection, also used to blend or bind elements together.

Blue: Protection, peace, calmness and spirituality.

Brown: Mother earth, also can mean friendship and strength.

Green: Growth, fertility, success in things and ideas that grow.

Orange: Abundance in career, projects and matters needing an added push.

Red: Emotions, passion, charisma, lust and also creativity.

Violet: Things that are sacred.

White: Purity, power of the moon, allows energy to flow freely.

Yellow: Health in body and mind, love of man and the sun, connection to the God.

I thought this was so interesting.

I have a four foot one that i bought for 35.00 . i can get you the dimensions if you need them.

www.shopRPMachine.com

Old 07-13-2005, 08:17 PM

My crew built the star awhile back for the photo we sent in. The layout instructions are found in The Library under PDF Library under Craft and Instructions.

The layout was from a article in Sheet Metal Worker. We used our pexto stakes to form the shape though I suppose a finger brake will get you close except for the center few inches.