sheet metal
shopRPmachine.com
Home | Library | Buyers' Guide | Sheet Metal Industry Ads | Support | Forum Home Page

Go Back   The Sheet Metal Shop > Sheet Metal Forums > Sheet Metal Talk

Sheet Metal Talk
General discussion for fabrication and layout work. No advertising on forums, it will be deleted.

Share This Forum!  

Old 09-15-2010, 07:02 AM

Default Drawing a rivet???

Ok I was talking to a guy this morning at work and he said a lot of the old timers he worked with said that in the "old days" they would not drill a hole for a rivet that they could "draw a rivet" by placing the 2 pieces of metal together and tapping around the rivet then with one solid hit with the hammer set the rivet.

I'd have to see it done to belive it. Anybody hear of this?
Old 09-15-2010, 09:06 AM

I assume your talking about tinners rivets. The person "bucking" the rivet would put it in the hole and the one with the hammer would tap on the other side until he found the rivet. Then he would put the concave part on the end of the rivet set over where the end of the rivet was and hit it a couple pf times. This would show where the end of the rivet really was. He would put the hole in the end of the rivet set over it and hit it hard once or twice and draw the rivet through the metal and into the rivet set. You would hit the set a couple more time to draw the pieces together. Hit the rivet head a few times to squash it a bit and hit it a couple of times with the concave part to round the head. Now I'm sure there are other methods but this how I saw it done on 16 ga and thinner metal.
Old 09-15-2010, 05:22 PM
Professional Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CadMan View Post
Ok I was talking to a guy this morning at work and he said a lot of the old timers he worked with said that in the "old days" they would not drill a hole for a rivet that they could "draw a rivet" by placing the 2 pieces of metal together and tapping around the rivet then with one solid hit with the hammer set the rivet.

I'd have to see it done to belive it. Anybody hear of this?
I use to make gaskets for car parts kind of like what U are talking bout. Never did it with the tinner's rivet but it sounds like it could work but would take too long to do. dupree

P.S. U would probably have to use a rivet set , right??