sheet metal
shopRPmachine.com
Home | Library | Buyers' Guide | Sheet Metal Industry Ads | Support | Forum Home Page

Go Back   The Sheet Metal Shop > Sheet Metal Forums > Sheet Metal Talk

Sheet Metal Talk
General discussion for fabrication and layout work. No advertising on forums, it will be deleted.

Share This Forum!  

Old 11-28-2009, 10:17 PM

Default square to round layout

Need to know how to layout a sq' to round that is flat on two sides. I'll give you my example...I need to make this ftg 16" long including the collar. If ur looking at this from the side view it would be 12" round on top, staying flat on the leftside, going to the right and flat on top looking at my sideview. THE Square part at the bottom is 18x6. Can someone show me how to layout this ftg. I have no problem laying out square to round ftg's even if there flat on oneside. but they are usually on ctr as well.
The Following User Says Thank You to tonymontone For This Useful Post:
RGL (08-05-2010)
Old 11-29-2009, 08:28 AM

Good news, you already know how to do this, it's the same layout for any sq to rd. when the top and bottom are parallel. You don't learn to lay-out fittings just how to apply the 3 basic concepts to anything. Sq. to rds. use trangulation.
Start by drawing the plan view(top) then take the distance in the plan view 90 degrees to the distance in the side view for your true lengths. This method never changes can be used to lay out pretty well anything under the sun. -Get something weird to make, just trangulate. Easy-Peasy
Old 11-30-2009, 11:52 PM

Here is a method that I use that helps you get the true length of all the lines you need. I would draw the top view of the fitting. Mark the 4 corners of the square to round 1.2.3.4. then section off your cirle into four quardrants, and divide those quardrants into equal sections ( I would divide it in 15-10 degree incremants what ever you perfer). Now go around your cirle and mark each point a,b,c,d, ect. Now since the top and bottoms are parallel that distance is constant for all the corners. So this is what you do, take the hieght of the fitting ( or the base to the top of the square to round) and mark that distance on a vertical line on a scrap pc of metal. Then draw a line perpendicular to that line. Now from each corner of the square use your dividers to to go from the corner of the square to each letter section on the cirlce. Do this for all the circular sections in each corners quadrant of the circle. On your scrap pc of metal, mark each lenght on the horizontal line, from the intersection point of the vertical line and the horizontal line. (make sure you mark each letter on the scribed mark you make) now from the mark you put on the vertical line to your marks on your horizontal line is your true length of each line segement. Just like a center line square to round except since it is no longer symetrical you have to now do each quardrant. The tricky part now is to figure out how it should look once you lay it out. That is allways the real tricky part for me. Good luck, and I agree with the hammer, when in doubt triangulate.
Old 12-02-2009, 09:36 PM

I think i got it.....But can someone copy and paste what the pattern looks like when its complete. I just want to make sure i'm doing it right
Old 12-03-2009, 04:31 PM
Professional Member

I think one way to check your work is when you are finished you should be able to lay a framing square on the last corner and it should follow up the seam to the top square. ? clear ? dupree
Old 12-03-2009, 09:40 PM

yeah that is a good point, that it would be square like cactassdupree said, also, pretty much if you use the correct true line lengths, it has to be correct as long as your intial starting point is correct. get that wrong and all is lost.