PDA

View Full Version : Canadian Red Seal

tinman9765
04-29-2006, 09:56 PM
Just wanted to have a little input on the Canadian inter-provincial red seal exam. Has any Canadian tin-basher taken in the last 5 years, and if so, what was your general thought on the exam ? I know that when I took it, I do not feel like I was prepared by my instructors, but still passed, and got the seal.

Tets11
04-30-2006, 01:34 AM
I'm taking mine next week. I feel prepared but I guess well have to wait and see if I am actually prepared.

MadNinja
04-30-2006, 03:47 PM
Does anyone have any questions from the exam that I can use to study from? I can write the test in about a month and a half.
I heard there were a lot of math questions and it's quite hard. Any help would be appreciated.

tinman9765
04-30-2006, 10:28 PM
yes there is a lot of math, lots of blue print reading, pattern dfevelopement, pattern developement = 15 questions,(ships ventilator comes to mind, such as each gore is a seperate parralal development, 6 questions on welding and hoisting, 9 on welding processes, 17 on prepar. of sheet metal products, 24 on fabric & assem of ducts, (one question that comes to mind is a hood sizing, and the formula for the added allowence is on spec) 36 questions on install vent and airconditioning and 5 questions on servicing. know how to read blueprints, and look up specs on blueprints. Know sin cos and tangent functions, that would help out. there was a wrapper formula for an ogee ofset i had never seen before the test, 120 questions in total, just be prepared to be there for the whole time, don't panic, and a molson canadian tastes great after the test in the local school bar, so does 2, 3, 4,............. there are some question that come t mind, but I think it's better that I not confuse before the exam, if this helps let me know. like I said, biggest thing I found was there was a lot of fliping through the book for specs and blueprints.

Tets11
04-30-2006, 10:34 PM
Thanks a million! I really appreciate it. If you think of anything else, let me know. Thanks again

tinman9765
04-30-2006, 10:44 PM
http://www.thesheetmetalshop.com/module-htmlpages-display-pid-32.html

Tets11
04-30-2006, 10:59 PM
Hey Tinman, how long ago did you write for your Red Seal???

tinman9765
05-01-2006, 06:01 AM
apr 7 2006

Tets11
05-01-2006, 01:49 PM
I'm writing May 5 2006

tinman9765
05-03-2006, 09:46 PM
good luck hope you do well

Tets11
05-04-2006, 08:41 AM
Thanks I'll let you know how it goes.

Tets11
05-10-2006, 10:08 PM
Hey TInman, thanks a bunch. You're tips helped out.

tinman9765
05-11-2006, 12:23 AM
Glad to hear it :)

Anok
05-15-2006, 07:52 PM
I'm writing mine in June. Any other inputs or insights on questions on the exam?

Tets11
05-15-2006, 08:38 PM
Some roofing questions. Something about a batten seam and gutters. Chimney cap clearances. One WHMIS symbol and a few rigging questions. Some welding process and welding symbols. Couple of kitchen hoods. Aside from that, Tinman covered quite a bit of it. Good luck and like Tinman said, it will take you quite a bit of time to do it and lots of flipping through.

tinman9765
05-18-2006, 09:01 PM
also the tightening sequence of a round companion flange, 12 bolts I think

Tets11
05-18-2006, 09:21 PM
As well as the purpose for "ribs" or "beads" on flashings.

AY
05-28-2006, 07:39 PM
Hello:
I am about to write a welding red seal test. I already failed once. Does anybody remember any questions?? please help. If you still remember some questions pls email to me: jdsinc@telus.net

thanks

AY
05-28-2006, 07:42 PM
Hi:
Does anyone still remember any questions in the Canadian red seal welding exam?? Please email to me if you do. jdsinc@telus.net
- I failed once and I need to rewrite next wk.

thanks,

Bud
05-29-2006, 06:04 AM
I'm courious as to what types of questions are on the test and other test? If anyone can share simialr questions we can create download here for all to beable to study them?

Anok
05-29-2006, 06:54 PM
Apparently alot of SOH CAH TOA

tinman9765
05-30-2006, 09:45 PM
There are questions that refere to a bluepring(which I do have a copy of) , I believe it is a perimiter loop, constant velocity, there are 15 vav boxes, it asks how many thermostats, one was overlooked by most of the people I talked to. this blueprint has a scedule with it. it asks question which refere to the specs, such as duct gauges, cross breaking, spiral sizes, duct connections. questions are asked about specific VAV boxes, grills.

on a flat roof, where would your low presure area bee, leeward, wayward, etc

there is one question, something to the effect of:

if 0.875 KW per horsepower, and you have 20 KW, what is the size of the motor required. At first it would appear to be a simple question, but I talked to a few (15) people who took the test, and they came up with the wrong answer, which was supplied on the exam. (numbers may not be the exact ones, but that type ).

as far as the welding red seal, I have no idea what is on that one, all I know is the sheet metal red seal.

Anok
06-13-2006, 03:41 PM
just did my Cof Q exam today.....

Not enough time to do it. 3 hours for 120 questions ( 1.5 minutes per question) might seem ok, however some questions have you thinking and calculating for more than a 1.5 minutes. Alot of flipping through the pages. I know how to do the questions but i personally needed more time. Maybe i over think things(it has been said about me).

overall though it was a good exam, makes sure our trade has thinkers not stinkers.

tinbasher71
02-05-2007, 07:40 PM
just another tinbasher writing for red seal in 2 weeks here in victoria. it,ll go well

tinmetal
02-15-2009, 10:18 PM
please help me for my cfq im taking next months any tips and question ..much appriciated ..

device
02-19-2009, 08:09 PM
just another tinbasher writing for red seal in 2 weeks here in victoria. it,ll go well
good luck with it..
i took mine in alberta..and i live just north of you now in Duncan!

tinmetal
02-22-2009, 03:21 PM
hi serious tinner .. any question from the exam you still remember..pls can you give me any tips

device
02-22-2009, 05:03 PM
hi serious tinner .. any question from the exam you still remember..pls can you give me any tips
If you are referring to me..
well it was back in 03, something about hacksaw blade direction..that one got me..teeth facing forward and all that ..
also something about steel rivets and stainless rivet confusion..
but its seems long time ago..dont think i remembered much right after i took the red seal..

tinmetal
02-23-2009, 11:04 PM
thanks for the info devices.. im taking my exam next week here in ontario... please anyone on here can give me a tips for the exam or anyone have a copy of an old exam.. or any pre cfq reviewer ... much appreciated. thanks

device
02-24-2009, 08:25 AM
thanks for the info devices.. im taking my exam next week here in ontario... please anyone on here can give me a tips for the exam or anyone have a copy of an old exam.. or any pre cfq reviewer ... much appreciated. thanks
copy of old exam..
dont take this personaly but something does not sound right about that...
from my recolection there was some questions that i just could not study for..but for the most part it was general sheet metal questions..rational and common sense stuff..cept for the questions they threw in from other provinces..
just kidding its a breeze as long as you study you should pass..know your gas code(b-vent instalation)
where building exhasut stacks go in relation to parapets and peaks..
now not 100 percent about this but study heat pumps..if you have not already..i have been hearing this from some of the apprentices going through the shop here..

tinmetal
02-24-2009, 01:05 PM
thanks ..devices

Rob
02-26-2009, 06:36 PM
Heat pumps?? Gas code??
Unless things have changed a lot lately, the exam is not an HVAC quiz.
It's like a major math exam with a few other multiple choice identification questions (welding, blueprint reading, flashing, etc.).
If you know the math, you will be OK.
Good Luck.

tinmetal
02-26-2009, 08:38 PM
thanks dad... im goin to write my exam on thrusday next week...oh.hh god...help....

device
02-27-2009, 07:18 AM
Hi:
Does anyone still remember any questions in the Canadian red seal welding exam?? Please email to me if you do. jdsinc@telus.net
- I failed once and I need to rewrite next wk.

thanks,
hey jd is the sinc in your email addy short for sinclair?
eeeep original post was 2 years old er more hmf!

tinmetal
03-04-2009, 09:17 PM
last chance any more tips for the exam ... i will take the exam tommorrow

Rob
03-07-2009, 03:17 PM
Hi tinmetal.
How did it go? I hope for the best.
I know you haven't got your results yet, but what did you think of the exam? :)

locklin
03-08-2009, 01:57 AM
I typed in ( red seal exam) and it said in red did you mean red seal exam?,clicked on that, then said FAQ( frequently asked questions ) and I scrolled down to 3 ,and clicked on sheetmetal worker and it tells you what subjects you're being tested on.

Bud
03-08-2009, 03:57 AM
Hey Locklin, that was pretty good info, I did it too and found it to be a really good ANALYSIS of what to expect..now if we could take that and build a section of problems to work and practice off of..as I noticed that there are a lot of math formulas?

Tinmetal - who's it go for you? Hope all went well!

locklin
03-08-2009, 04:00 AM
Hope it can help test takers. Insomnia got us that info! Good Luck

tinmetal
03-08-2009, 07:04 PM
thanks god .. i think i made it... the exam is hard... alot of math.. cva formula..offset belt length and swing point calculation...pipe length in between of two elbows..rigging .. welding alum kind of tungstin tip..sharp or round.. extension ladder ratio..kind of flame in oxywelding..whmis.. and roofing expansion contraction and more :)

locklin
03-08-2009, 08:11 PM
Congratualations! Sounds a little like the jouneyman test in California! You deserve a pat on the back! Locklin

Bud
03-09-2009, 03:22 AM
thanks god .. i think i made it... the exam is hard... alot of math.. cva formula..offset belt length and swing point calculation...pipe length in between of two elbows..rigging .. welding alum kind of tungstin tip..sharp or round.. extension ladder ratio..kind of flame in oxywelding..whmis.. and roofing expansion contraction and more :)

Great & Congratualations! Sounds like a tough test.

device
03-09-2009, 08:46 AM
see ya out there some day..are you a feild or shop guy?

Rob
04-03-2009, 06:15 PM
tinmetal
You have your results by now.
Let us know.

tinmetal
04-05-2009, 09:36 PM
hi dad ,yea i past the exam 88% i got my inter pro. .... :)

device
04-05-2009, 09:36 PM
sweeeet!!!!

tinmetal
04-05-2009, 09:39 PM
i remembered those question i didnt get it right...

Bud
04-06-2009, 02:23 AM
hi dad ,yea i past the exam 88% i got my inter pro. .... :)

Great news!

Rob
04-06-2009, 05:00 PM
Congratulations.
I'm impressed. Pass mark is 70%.
I know of several people who struggled to pass it on their second or even third try.

stainlessdreams
10-21-2009, 11:19 PM
im writing the red seal exam in a month, i thought i felt prepared until i did the sample questions on the red seal website. could use some help if anyone remembers any questions i can study from.

cactassdupree
10-22-2009, 04:37 PM
Where do you Canadians learn your Sheet Metal Work. Are you withS.M.W.I.A. ??? Just curious :?: :?: dupree

Rob
10-22-2009, 05:07 PM
Where do you Canadians learn your Sheet Metal Work. Are you withS.M.W.I.A. ??? Just curious :?: :?: dupree

Some are with SMWIA, some are not.
To get a license, you must have someone hire you as an apprentice.
Your employer can be union or non-union.
It's a 5 year process with 3 sessions at college.
At the end of it all you write the red seal exam.
Good luck stainlessdreams!

stainlessdreams
10-23-2009, 12:41 PM
i did my apprenticeship in BC and my schooling in the sheet metal union trades school, if your not a union member you can do your schooling at BCIT. The requirements here are 6400 hours with 4 10 week sessions of school after each 1600 hours completed, the red seal exam comes from the Industry Training Board. I did my whole apprenticeship in a stainless steel fabrication shop, so i feel very unprepared for the exam as i have not done any hvac.

Rob
10-23-2009, 02:52 PM
If you've gone through the 4 sessions of school, I think most of the information you need would have been covered.

Apprentice
10-25-2009, 12:10 AM
I'm a 4th Year and just finished basic (were back logged here in Southern Ontario) and one of my teachers was one of four people who wrote the tests. He was giving us a heads up as to what to expect to be on the test.
Apparently there is alot of formula question like "Calculate the wire needed in a wired edge". I have been told by alot of Journeymen I work with that the test is really easy and I should challange it. I think I'm going to wait though.

stainlessdreams
10-27-2009, 02:32 PM
ive heard the test was easy by older journeymen, but ive also heard the test has changed quite a bit considering all the new high efficiency eqiupment thats coming out and theres also alot more building code surounding the HVAC system installation now than there use to be.

device
10-28-2009, 06:10 PM
ive heard the test was easy by older journeymen, but ive also heard the test has changed quite a bit considering all the new high efficiency eqiupment thats coming out and theres also alot more building code surounding the HVAC system installation now than there use to be.
hey are you in vancouver?
your shop on venables..
for your information i apprenticed in a truck manufacturing plant in edmonton ..all you need to know for the red seal is usualy taught in the first four years of your apprenticeship..otherwise it is just common sense stuff..
i just recently open a stainless shop on the island..

stainlessdreams
11-02-2009, 05:04 PM
i worked for Scientek Hospital and Laboratory Equuip in Richmond, and Northwestern Systems Corp. also s/s lab equipment in Vancouver (Annicis island). ive also just recently came from Edmonton where i worked a 6 month contract for Linzen-Stainless Dreams, where abouts on the island you open up your stainless shop?are you doing commercial kitchen?

tinsmith
11-02-2009, 09:32 PM
Stainleesdreams since when did they start going to 10 weeks for 4 years at BCIT

stainlessdreams
11-02-2009, 11:23 PM
i didnt, i went to the Sheet Metal Union training center in burnaby, i finished 4th year a year ago, i have over 10000 hours registered at ITA i just havent written my IP, im scheduled to write Nov 18

device
11-03-2009, 08:20 AM
i worked for Scientek Hospital and Laboratory Equuip in Richmond, and Northwestern Systems Corp. also s/s lab equipment in Vancouver (Annicis island). ive also just recently came from Edmonton where i worked a 6 month contract for Linzen-Stainless Dreams, where abouts on the island you open up your stainless shop?are you doing commercial kitchen?
i am located in Duncan.and yes commercial kitchens are my cake..also do hospital equipment..

tinsmith
11-03-2009, 09:42 PM
Well good luck then, I wrote mine back in 06 can't remember much about the test. The only one that stands out is they give you a plan view of a building's roof telling you how much of a tube of silicone will seal the flashing around the perimeter. And you have to figure how may tubes it takes. There was no answer 'E' depends on who is operating the silicone gun :D Biggest thing was fighting the clock, it takes the whole 3hrs. I walked out with 10 min left. there was some guys that still had 40 some questions to go, with no time left.

stainlessdreams
11-04-2009, 09:10 AM
Well good luck then, I wrote mine back in 06 can't remember much about the test. The only one that stands out is they give you a plan view of a building's roof telling you how much of a tube of silicone will seal the flashing around the perimeter. And you have to figure how may tubes it takes. There was no answer 'E' depends on who is operating the silicone gun :D Biggest thing was fighting the clock, it takes the whole 3hrs. I walked out with 10 min left. there was some guys that still had 40 some questions to go, with no time left.

i thought the test was a gruelling math exam, id have to say id be disapointed if i seen that question on the exam, really...who gives a $#!t how much silicone it take to seal flashing, its just silicone, carry extra. i mean, shouldnt they be focusing on the more important things like hvac code and formulas considering a system failure could result in a family dying of carbon monoxide poisoning. what kind of journeymen are we becoming if they ask us stooopid $#!T like that on the test.
... but anyways, thanks for the heads up on that question, i would have hated to waste my time trying to figure that one out when there are clearly more important things we should be tested on.

stainlessdreams
11-04-2009, 09:14 AM
PS i knew it was a multiple choice test but 'E'? i thought there was only A,B,C & D, now you say theres an E? damn now im more stressed than before.

stainlessdreams
11-16-2009, 08:45 PM
1 more day till i write the exam, any final advice?

device
11-16-2009, 11:16 PM
1 more day till i write the exam, any final advice?
get lots of sleep..eat breakfast..
and dont over think the questions..
sometimes the answer you chose is not the real right answer to the question..but it is the best one you have to choose from..

look at it this way..try to chose the best answer there is to chose from not neccessarily the right one..get it!

on a side not..bud any way to add spell check to the posts?

stainlessdreams
11-17-2009, 12:55 PM
ok thanks to everyone, this forum was very helpful in preparing me for the exam, the rest is up to me.

Rob
11-23-2009, 06:01 PM
stainless...are you still with us?
So....what do you think about the exam?
Give us all the gory details.

device
11-24-2009, 08:10 AM
stainless...are you still with us?
So....what do you think about the exam?
Give us all the gory details.
haha Dad give him time he is licking wounds!

thehammer
11-29-2009, 11:26 AM
^GEZ too bad I hadn't found this forum a little sooner,might have had a few pointers, though it was quite a few moons ago,my memory is pretty good. I had the highest mark in Canada the year I wrote. Got a lot of little "Congrat's" certificates and such. Was at the Canadian and International Apprenticeship Contests too,,,,but that was way back when...

thehammer
11-29-2009, 11:41 AM
Well good luck then, I wrote mine back in 06 can't remember much about the test. The only one that stands out is they give you a plan view of a building's roof telling you how much of a tube of silicone will seal the flashing around the perimeter. And you have to figure how may tubes it takes. There was no answer 'E' depends on who is operating the silicone gun :D Biggest thing was fighting the clock, it takes the whole 3hrs. I walked out with 10 min left. there was some guys that still had 40 some questions to go, with no time left. This sounds pretty close to 1 question I remember from the test, like I said it was way back when??
The question was how much to seal the gutter on the perimeter, the thing to think of would be that there is no gutter on the gable ends so you don't use those lengths to figure out your total. If you thought it was as simple as adding up the perimeter and dividing by how far a tube of silicon goes, you were wrong. Thats kinda how you have to think reading the questions on the test.

thehammer
11-29-2009, 06:12 PM
i am located in Duncan.and yes commercial kitchens are my cake..also do hospital equipment..
Wow this really is a small world, been out of Canada for some time now, but back in the "Day" I did quite a few kitchens just north of you from Nanaimo to Qualicum.
I'd say I did a lot of the kitchens built in that area in the early/mid nineties. So if you see some nice work it was mine, if it's shit it was somebody else.

device
11-29-2009, 06:27 PM
Wow this really is a small world, been out of Canada for some time now, but back in the "Day" I did quite a few kitchens just north of you from Nanaimo to Qualicum.
I'd say I did a lot of the kitchens built in that area in the early/mid nineties. So if you see some nice work it was mine, if it's shit it was somebody else.
wow thats a real small world hey!I spent most of my time discovering the bad work that is out there!
but i do run across some real nice well put together stuff..but its rare..

who did you work for in qualicum and nanaimo?
cheers..

thehammer
11-29-2009, 06:47 PM
As far as my kitchen stuff up there I would just usually sub contract my-self. Biggest one I can think of off the top of my head was the old folks home on Long Lake in Nanaimo, Romeo's Pizza and batch of them in that end of town, Quality Foods in Comox. Regular job in those days was more in the mills,
blow-pipe, cladding, bunch of commercial stuff, stuff in the Nanaimo Hospital

tinmetal
11-30-2009, 06:08 PM
just wondering what happen to stainlessdream?

stainlessdreams
12-14-2009, 10:02 AM
im here(licking my wounds) i havent got my results back yet but am planning a rewrite anyways, the test was very hard, lots of things i have never seen before that werent in any textbooks, the time issue was the hardest part, if i had more time i think i would of done better, 120 questions, 3 hours, in the end i had 50 questions to go and 30 minutes left. i felt i was at a huge disadvantage only working in stainless steel fab shops my whole apprenticeship as the test is very heavy on hvac, i will post as many of the questions as i can remember soon on here...

device
12-14-2009, 01:15 PM
im here(licking my wounds) i havent got my results back yet but am planning a rewrite anyways, the test was very hard, lots of things i have never seen before that werent in any textbooks, the time issue was the hardest part, if i had more time i think i would of done better, 120 questions, 3 hours, in the end i had 50 questions to go and 30 minutes left. i felt i was at a huge disadvantage only working in stainless steel fab shops my whole apprenticeship as the test is very heavy on hvac, i will post as many of the questions as i can remember soon on here...
i was afraid of that..i was @ a great disadvantage when i was apprenticing also..as i worked in a fab shop not hvac shop..but they do teach you well..i wished i had had some more experience in the hvac..but that came after i already had my ticket..
kinda learned to do hvac pretty much after it all..

sheetmental
01-19-2010, 08:43 PM
i am about to write this test also. frankly, it scares the hell outta me. there is alot of content in the example questions they gave me that were never part of my job. fabbing and installing duct, i made it how they told me to, and i put where the print showed me it belonged. it was never my job to know friction losses, mixture temps or any of that stuff. i can do pattern layout, i can install duct acording to the print. i have produce coordinated mechanical dwgs from auto-cad. (10 yrs ago) even then, i drew what the engineer wanted, and what the spec book showed. i wish i had a resource to study from that could help. they told me i couldn't bring a calculator or a ductulator. i have a hard time believing that all the mechanics here in canada know all the stuff this test seems to expect me to know.

device
01-19-2010, 09:05 PM
ductilator whats that?
that cardboard tinbasher thingy?
bah hahaha

tinmetal
01-26-2010, 10:02 PM
anyone from canada planning to write an exam ...i know the exam is really hard a lot of calculation and print reading to get the answer on the test...i know most of the question covered to the whole exam coz i wrote mind a year ago...i got all the study book that all you need to past the test...just email me want you need to know ...

Apprentice
01-30-2010, 02:53 PM
ductilator whats that?
that cardboard tinbasher thingy?
bah hahaha

Yes, it calculates the Friction Loss and its also a converter from Square duct to Flex duct. Some also have formulas and other stuff on the back of them. Pretty useful.

Apprentice
01-30-2010, 02:56 PM
i am about to write this test also. frankly, it scares the hell outta me. there is alot of content in the example questions they gave me that were never part of my job. fabbing and installing duct, i made it how they told me to, and i put where the print showed me it belonged. it was never my job to know friction losses, mixture temps or any of that stuff. i can do pattern layout, i can install duct acording to the print. i have produce coordinated mechanical dwgs from auto-cad. (10 yrs ago) even then, i drew what the engineer wanted, and what the spec book showed. i wish i had a resource to study from that could help. they told me i couldn't bring a calculator or a ductulator. i have a hard time believing that all the mechanics here in canada know all the stuff this test seems to expect me to know.

I'm currently in my Intermediate term at George Brown. If you would like some help I'm more than willing.
I also have all my Basic and Intermediate notes on my computer.

Rob
01-30-2010, 04:18 PM
Way to go tinmetal and Apprentice!
That's what we're here for.
To help each other.

sheetmental: At the test, they supply you with a calculator. Also, the formulas you need are on the test.

Apprentice
02-01-2010, 06:15 PM
Also, here is a sample of the Redseal Exam:

www(dot) red-seal.ca/images/SampleQuestion_SheetMetal (dot) html (linked removed as it no longer works)

Bud
02-01-2010, 07:10 PM
Nice sample - maybe we can create a area od the site here with more and the answers on a different page for practice test :)

Apprentice
02-01-2010, 07:37 PM
That sounds like a plan; Also My teacher at School in Toronto had a hand in creating one of the 5 tests. He gives us direction on what to study, but will not give us the acual questions. :(

wolfeindustrial
02-12-2010, 11:09 AM
Was just doing a little research on this. Great to see everyone's thoughts. Thanks for sharing.

Apprentice
02-16-2010, 04:45 PM
Nice sample - maybe we can create a area od the site here with more and the answers on a different page for practice test :)

That sounds like a great idea, but there would have to be two diffrent sections. One section for Canada and One Section for the USA.

stainlessdreams
02-21-2010, 10:13 PM
heres a couple of questions from the exam...

1.what is the included angle of a drill bit when drilling stainless steel?

2. (and i can not find the answer to this one in any of my text books or notes from school, or on the internet) if repto lacing a broken belt on a 5 belt motor/fan assembly do you replace
a)all of the belts
b)just the broken belt
c)the broken belt and one adjecent belt
d)the broken belt and both adjacent belts

3. calculate the wedge to cut out of a circle to form the top of a china cap.

4.(another one i havent ever seen anywhere before) what do you use to cut 60" pvc?
and the answers given and im not 100% sure on these are
a)angle grinder
b)hand saw
c)cicular saw
d)cant remember

5.(yet another i havent seen before in any of my textbooks) is the tightening sequence of a 12 bolt flange

6. your given a blueprint and asked how many VAV boxes are required for the job which was easy but then the ask you series of questions on trouble shooting different air problems with the blueprint and what the possible causes could be which i found very difficult.

Bud
02-22-2010, 02:55 AM
It would be interesting to see what the answer is on the belts question...

Our practice is to replace all the belts as they stretch-out and by replacing the bad belt typically means you tighten them up as you might need to, causing the belts to slip. But then again, we have 1 to 4 belt systems we work on.

On the Air problems, do they get into temp complaints? Damper positions regarding system more so then the vav itself or are the questions only on the vav's?

stainlessdreams
02-22-2010, 09:03 AM
i would like to know about the belt question as well as i have gone through all my textbooks and school handouts and cannot find anything on the subject( i answered replace all belts) but am unsure if i got it right or wrong. if anyone can answer this and show me where they found the answer would be appreciated. As for the blueprint problems YES there wee questions on air problems approx. 5 of them that kind of sounded like this: theres not enough fpm coming into office 4 is this because
a)damper needs to be manually adjusted
b)auto dampener is malfuntioning
c)fan needs to be adjusted
d) fire damper needs replacing
...or something like this i cant remember the exact questions/answers. theres another question regarding the blueprint that sounds somthing like this: there is too much noise coming from the hvac system in media room 2 is this because:
a)damper is too open
b)damper is too closed
c)?
d)?
again i can remember, i found it hard to remember all the questions, i wrote a couple of them down as soon as i finished the test, mostly the ones ive never seen before or found it hard to answer. basically the blueprint problems i found very hard because they gave 4 answers that could possibly be correct you just had to find the best answer.

BTW i failed with 67% and i am rescheduled to write on march 25th, i am very dissapointed with myself, i totally ran out of time there was 120 questions and 3 hours, i ended up with 50 questions left and only 30 minutes left to do it in, i definetly studied my formulas way to much as they gave me a formula sheet. ill post more questions from the exam as i remember them.

stainlessdreams
02-22-2010, 09:10 AM
there was a couple questions on u-tube manometers(just knowing how to read the measurement off it) and another on converting your total pressure in wg" to velocity fpm

Apprentice
02-25-2010, 08:57 PM
Today when I wrote my Final Exam for Level 2 (Intermediate), it seemed like I was writting my C of Q.
I was told there was a couple questions on it that COULD be on the C of Q.
I'm not sure that these questions will be on it, but here are some of the questions I remember.

1) A Commercial Elbow 22x10 with a radius of 12'' requires only:

a) 1 Turning Vane
b) 2 Turning Vanes
c) 3 Turning Vanes
d) None of the above

2) When Installing a Copper Roof in the summer at a laid temp of 75*F in the Middle of July what should you take into consideration?

a) Expansion
b) Convection
c) Contraction
d) Nane of the above

3) What 2 Metals are least likely to react from electrolysis?

a) Copper and Zinc
b) Copper and Galvanised
c) Silver and Gold
d) Aluminum and Zinc

4) For every 100' of gutter, there should be at least 2 downspouts on either end?

a) True
b) False

5) How is Copper Purchased?

a) Pounds per square foot
b) ounces per square foot
c) By the roll
d) By the ton

6) Does a Transition 24x10 reducing to 10x10 comply with SMACNA?

a)Yes
b) No

** I have more question I could write, but thats enough for one day. And I gotta go through my notes!

stainlessdreams
05-03-2010, 05:13 PM
which file removes the most material?
a.rat tail
b.single cut
c. double cut
d. mill cut

the top leaf of a hand brake should be adjusted back
a. 1 mat. thickness
b. 1.5 mat. thickness
c. 2 mat. thickness
d. 2.5 mat thickness

what knot is used to join 2 different diameter ropes?
a. bowline
b. sheepshank
c. catspaw
d. sheet bend

Boiler breeching should be angled__ per foot
a. 1/8"
b. 1/4"
c. 3/8"
d. 1/2"

ill post more when as i remember.

i am still looking for the answer to this question as i havent been able to find it anywhere, any help is much appreciated.

On a five belt fan setup, one belt is found to be worn, do you
a. replace all belts
b. replace just the worn belt
c. replace the worn belt and one adjacent belt
d. replace the worn belt and 2 adjacent belts

Rob
05-03-2010, 06:41 PM
i am rescheduled to write on march 25th

How did this one go?
Hoping for the best.

john_galt
05-04-2010, 02:34 AM
Replace all belts. belt's are cheap,labor's expensive.Belt's stretch and you want them to stretch and wear at the same rate per Audels Millwright and Mechanics book.

stainlessdreams
05-20-2010, 08:21 PM
WOOOOOOHOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I PASSED THE IP EXAM!!!!!!!!!!

im so happy, it was a long wait for my exam results, and i was stressing every day of it. im so happy i passed. finally part of the journeyman club!

tinsmith
05-20-2010, 10:09 PM
Congratulations, go out and celebrate. Then get back to work J/K. Welcome to the club feels good doesn't it, there is very few of us left. Most of them are plumbers (did I just swear) pretending to be tinsmiths.

Bud
05-21-2010, 03:25 AM
YES Congratulations!

stainlessdreams
05-21-2010, 08:54 AM
thank you, it does feel good, and thanks to everyone in this forum who helped me with my questions over the last few months.

Rob
05-21-2010, 01:58 PM
Congratulations!!
Welcome to the club.
I remember feeling about ten feet tall when I finally had that card in my wallet.

cactassdupree
05-21-2010, 03:54 PM
Hi Bud,
Do you think that you could get a copy of one of these Red Seal tests. They would be a Great Learning Tool. I wish the USA had something like the Red Seal. :) dupree

cactassdupree
05-21-2010, 03:55 PM
Hi Bud,
Do you think that you could get a copy of one of these Red Seal tests. They would be a Great Learning Tool. I wish the USA had something like the Red Seal. :) dupree

I ment to say put it in the Library.

Bud
05-21-2010, 08:12 PM
I ment to say put it in the Library.

That would be nice!

tinsmith
05-23-2010, 07:03 PM
I don't think it is possible to get even get a practice test I remember writing a few mock tests but we had to give them back at the end of the day. It is a pretty closely kept secret, even the instructors have know idea what is exactly on the test.

cactassdupree
05-24-2010, 04:27 PM
"F" the secrets. I want to see what in the heck all the fuss is about in the GREAT Northy. (Canida) I'm of the opion that "WE ALL" can help each other to learn more and advance the TRADE. Knowledge is power Lets all use it :) dupree

john_galt
05-24-2010, 04:37 PM
Don't sugar-coat it dupree, Give it to me strait I can take it.

Rob
05-24-2010, 05:15 PM
"F" the secrets. I want to see what in the heck all the fuss is about in the GREAT Northy. (Canida) I'm of the opion that "WE ALL" can help each other to learn more and advance the TRADE. Knowledge is power Lets all use it :) dupree

The test is guarded to the extreme.
Even your scribble sheets are monitored and shredded.
When you get your results, they tell you what percentage of the questions you answered correctly, without telling you any answers.
So, for instance, if you got 8 out of 10 on one particular section, you will never know which questions you answered wrong.

Rob
05-24-2010, 06:14 PM
By the way, the sheet metal trade is very heavily regulated here.
I can't have a helper on the job unless he or she is registered as an apprentice.
My son (university student) is going to work with me this summer.
He has no intention of following up on the trade, but I had to sign him up as an apprentice so he can legally work with me.

aramage
06-18-2010, 10:44 PM
I will be writing my Red Seal exam next Friday. Like the previous people, getting information on the exam is sketchy. In fact, the instructors said that they have never seen the exam so hopefully things go well.

If anybody has any sample questions, tips, or suggestions, please send them my way.

Thanks

Apprentice
06-19-2010, 06:24 PM
I will be writing my Red Seal exam next Friday. Like the previous people, getting information on the exam is sketchy. In fact, the instructors said that they have never seen the exam so hopefully things go well.

If anybody has any sample questions, tips, or suggestions, please send them my way.

Thanks

I already posted some sample questions at the start of this thread.

tinsmith
06-19-2010, 10:52 PM
As I have mentioned before your biggest challenge is going to be the clock. If I remember each question is averaged out to about 45 seconds per question. doesn't sound like much but most you should know right away. don't spend to much time on one question just move on, and go back to it, but make SURE that you mark that question on the answer key, otherwise you are FUBARed. That is my advice. Good luck

Jon

device
06-20-2010, 01:57 PM
As I have mentioned before your biggest challenge is going to be the clock. If I remember each question is averaged out to about 45 seconds per question. doesn't sound like much but most you should know right away. don't spend to much time on one question just move on, and go back to it, but make SURE that you mark that question on the answer key, otherwise you are FUBARed. That is my advice. Good luck

Jon

i wanted to point out your signature..
i have heard it a different way..the difference is a journeyman knows how to fix thier mistakes..

Rob
06-20-2010, 06:00 PM
I thought I made a mistake once.........but I was wrong.

Good luck aramage.
Where are you at in Canada?

cactassdupree
06-22-2010, 06:37 PM
You Go DAD!!!!!! I was taught that the only ones who don't make mistakes are the ones who don't do anything! :)) dupree

As for taking tests. I prefer to go through and answer all the questions that the answers come quickly. Then go back and go through the test a second or third time till all are answered. Sometimes you will find hints in other questions. I'd still like to see one of those "Red Seal Tests" What's the big secret??

aramage
08-04-2010, 10:10 PM
I am from Red Deer, AB. As for the Red Seal, I passed with 83%. I also passed the TQ! I was the last person out of the exam. Apparantly there is only a 50% pass rate. I did find it challenging. There was lots of math questions with respect to airflow.

So I am now a Journeyman!!!

Rob
08-05-2010, 05:07 AM
Congratulations aramage!

83% is very impressive!

Saub
09-17-2010, 12:42 PM
I took the Canadian Red Seal July,09. Passed, I didn't feel there were many math questions on the test I took. However there is 4 tests that they use. Again make sure you can understand blueprints.

lawrencee
11-14-2010, 06:39 PM
hey im in newfoundland and im writing my exan on jan 18 and i was just wondering what types of math were on the exam.....is it just basic math or alot of static pressure,cfm to fpm and that kind of stuff

Rob
11-15-2010, 05:32 PM
hey im in newfoundland and im writing my exan on jan 18 and i was just wondering what types of math were on the exam.....is it just basic math or alot of static pressure,cfm to fpm and that kind of stuff

It looks like it depends on who you ask.
I'm starting to think there are different exams depending on where you live.
If you read back on this thread, there are some that say there are a lot of HVAC questions.
Not so here in Ontario.
Maybe each Province has it's own exam.
Either way, you're not off the hook. There will be a lot of math.
The good news is the exam gives you the math formulas you need, you just have to decide which one applies to the question you're working on.
Good luck and welcome to the site.:)

lawrencee
01-02-2011, 11:54 AM
ya im starting to get the same feeling that all provinces are different all though the sheet metal apprentice board said that they were all the same across canada...but i got the exam rundown so she said if i know whats in the rundown you should be ok...ive read this whole tread so ive got a few sample questions off here and one of my friends wrote not long ago and when he finished he went to is car and wrote what ever he could remember so that helps alot too

lawrencee
01-05-2011, 07:27 PM
13 days left and starting to stress out i think i will be ok tho only thing that scares me is the engineering side of it,static pressure and heat loss lenths that sorta stuff but ive read alot lately so im praying

Rob
01-19-2011, 05:21 PM
Well, how did it go?
We're all hoping for the best.

lawrencee
01-19-2011, 06:46 PM
i called my app rep and she asked if i could write tomorrow... it was better for her and i dont care when it is although i cant wait to do it now but only one more day to write and then just that long wait for the results.

lawrencee
01-21-2011, 04:59 PM
hey dad i wrote my exam on Thursday..........i thought i found it kinda easy but i guess i was too confident ,i got my results back today and i got 69% i could have cried lol but im rescheduled for Feb 22. i gonna get it this time i was really nervous last time. but maby theres a couple of things you can help me with like
when drilling soft metal such as copper what kind of drill bit do you use?
A:obtuse tip at fast speed
B:acute tip at fast speed
C:obtuse tip slow speed
D:acute tip slow speed

when welding a stainless steel counter top how do you help prevent warping?
A:clamp piece,place welding bar,weld towards area of most unwelded metal
B:clamp piece,place welding bar,weld towards area of already welded metal
C:tack,weld towards area of most unwelded metal
D:tack, weld towards area of already welded metal

cactassdupree
01-21-2011, 05:35 PM
Chill plate will suck the heat away from the weld i was told once by a Welder. I don't weld much. Just a thought . :) du

Rob
01-22-2011, 04:57 PM
when drilling soft metal such as copper what kind of drill bit do you use?
A:obtuse tip at fast speed
B:acute tip at fast speed
C:obtuse tip slow speed
D:acute tip slow speed

when welding a stainless steel counter top how do you help prevent warping?
A:clamp piece,place welding bar,weld towards area of most unwelded metal
B:clamp piece,place welding bar,weld towards area of already welded metal
C:tack,weld towards area of most unwelded metal
D:tack, weld towards area of already welded metal

69% is pretty good for first try!
You'll nail it next time.
The questions you posted are typical of the exam.
When you're under pressure, all of the answers could be correct.
For drilling soft metals, I would choose B, although that is not necessarily the answer they are looking for (who knows who writes these exams).
As for the stainless question, I dug this out of my trade school files.
Check out the highlighted sections.
From what I see here, the answer would be D.
Where's device when you need him?

lawrencee
01-23-2011, 01:43 PM
i had another question i cant find a answer too in a office thats 20 ft x 20ft x 9ft with 3 air changes a hour how many cfms are needed?

device
01-24-2011, 06:24 PM
tack from one end to the other then weld back across the way you came.. material is clamped with heatsink after it is tacked..
never stitch weld stainless .. and always gap the other end of a but weld ..stainless tends to pull together too much when tack across a long but weld.. you must gap and let it pull together as you move from one end to the other..
as far as your question about it.. i would fail that one.. whoever wrote it was probly a tinbasher and not a tinsmith!!

lawrencee
02-03-2011, 07:41 PM
1.What is the correct included grinding angle for a jobber's steel drill bit?
A.109
B.112
C.118
D.121

2.Which colour of tungsten electrode is used to weld aluminium?
A.Red.
B.Green.
C.Yellow.
D.Blue.

3.What is used to prepare a joint on cold rolled iron for brazing?
A.Acid.
B.Degreaser.
C.Grinding disk.
D.Wire brush.

4.How should a 15-m wire rope be stored?
A.Coiled dry and hung on a hook in a dry area.
B.Wound dry on a reel and stored in a dry area.
C.Lubricated, coiled, and hung on a hook.
D.Lubricated and wound on a reel.

5.What is the minimum requirement to layout a pattern for a square-to-round on centre?
A.3/4 of the plan view.
B.1/4 of the plan view.
C.1/2 of the plan view.
D.Full plan view.

6.What is the net blank cut size for a 90 14-in. diameter seven-piece elbow, used in a material handling system?

A.33.18 in. 44 in.
B.44.24 in. 44 in.
C.55.29 in. 44 in.
D.64.50 in. 44 in.

7.If 24 gauge metal is 0.686 mm (0.027 in.) thick, approximately how much must be taken from the circumference of a round pipe to make a small end?
A.3/32 in.
B.1/8 in.
C.3/16 in.
D.7/32 in.

8.A top takeoff used in a residential heating system has an equivalent length of 40 ft. with a design static pressure loss of 0.08 in./wg. What is the resulting friction loss?
A.0.032 in./wg
B.0.32 in./wg
C.3.2 in./wg
D.32 in./wg

9.Which combination of materials will corrode the quickest due to electrolysis (or galvanic reaction)?
A.Aluminium and copper.
B.Steel and copper.
C.Nickel and copper.
D.Lead and copper.

10.To allow proper air movement, what diameter of round pipe is required for a kitchen exhaust fan to move 2 000 cfm at 1 500 fpm?
A.6 in.
B.8 in.
C.12 in.
D.16 in.

11.What is the maximum allowable leakage for a 12-in. diameter duct, 250 ft. long with a leakage allowance of 6 cfm per 100 sq. ft. in surface area?

A.11.78 cfm
B.47.12 cfm
C.49.78 cfm
D.53.12 cfm

12.How much material would be required to cover a 12-in. round five-piece 90 elbow with a full throat and covered with 2 in. insulation and a 3/4 in. lap on the circumference of each gore?
A.28 5/8 in. 51 in.
B.33 3/8 in. 44 3/4 in.
C.35 3/16 in. 44 3/4 in.
D.38 3/16 in. 51 in.

13.What is the unit cooling capacity of a 3 100 cfm roof top unit with an economizer and an enthalpy difference of 6.5 Btu/lb. between the mixture air and the supply air?
A.1.80 tons
B.2.50 tons
C.6.75 tons
D.7.50 tons

14.A register is to deliver 500 cfm at a velocity pressure of 0.0126 in./wg and an AK factor of 70%. What is the register area?
A.123.32 sq. in.
B.176.17 sq. in.
C.182.89 sq. in.
D.228.80 sq. in.

15.A fan is designed to deliver 10 500 cfm (4 955 l/s) through a terminal reheat system when turning at 1 253 rpm. What corrective action should be taken if the measured fan performance is 9 960 cfm (4 700 l/s) when turning at 1 253 rpm?
A.Decrease the motor pulley size.
B.Increase the fan pulley size.
C.Tighten the fan belts.
D.Increase the motor pulley size.

16.How much material is required to fabricate an open chute 30 in. wide, with sides 12 in. high, to convey dust a vertical distance of 6 ft. and a horizontal distance of 10 ft. 4 3/4 in.?
A.30 sq. ft.
B.54 sq. ft.
C.74 sq. ft.
D.84 sq. ft.

17.What is the resulting mixture temperature if an economizer is allowing 2 000 cfm of 35F air to mix with the return air 8 000 cfm and 75F?
A.45F
B.50F
C.60F
D.65F

18.Air at 25C (77F) is capable of holding 144 grains of moisture, but is only holding 92. What is the current relative humidity?
A.32%
B.41%
C.64%
D.80%

19.What is the minimum number of support hangers required for installing roof gutters on a roof that measures 100 ft. in length?
A.23
B.26
C.30
D.34

20.What is the amount of fall when installing 45 ft. of gutter with a ratio of 1/8 in. per 10 ft.?
A.1/8 in.
B.3/8 in.
C.1/2 in.
D.9/16 in.

1.C
2.B
3.B
4.D
5.B
6.C
7.C
8.A
9.A
10.D
11.B
12.A
13.D
14.D
15.D
16.B
17.D
18.C
19.D
20.D

cactassdupree
02-04-2011, 02:20 PM
1.What is the correct included grinding angle for a jobber's steel drill bit?
A.109
B.112
C.118
D.121

2.Which colour of tungsten electrode is used to weld aluminium?
A.Red.
B.Green.
C.Yellow.
D.Blue.

3.What is used to prepare a joint on cold rolled iron for brazing?
A.Acid.
B.Degreaser.
C.Grinding disk.
D.Wire brush.

4.How should a 15-m wire rope be stored?
A.Coiled dry and hung on a hook in a dry area.
B.Wound dry on a reel and stored in a dry area.
C.Lubricated, coiled, and hung on a hook.
D.Lubricated and wound on a reel.

5.What is the minimum requirement to layout a pattern for a square-to-round on centre?
A.3/4 of the plan view.
B.1/4 of the plan view.
C.1/2 of the plan view.
D.Full plan view.

6.What is the net blank cut size for a 90 14-in. diameter seven-piece elbow, used in a material handling system?

A.33.18 in. 44 in.
B.44.24 in. 44 in.
C.55.29 in. 44 in.
D.64.50 in. 44 in.

7.If 24 gauge metal is 0.686 mm (0.027 in.) thick, approximately how much must be taken from the circumference of a round pipe to make a small end?
A.3/32 in.
B.1/8 in.
C.3/16 in.
D.7/32 in.

8.A top takeoff used in a residential heating system has an equivalent length of 40 ft. with a design static pressure loss of 0.08 in./wg. What is the resulting friction loss?
A.0.032 in./wg
B.0.32 in./wg
C.3.2 in./wg
D.32 in./wg

9.Which combination of materials will corrode the quickest due to electrolysis (or galvanic reaction)?
A.Aluminium and copper.
B.Steel and copper.
C.Nickel and copper.
D.Lead and copper.

10.To allow proper air movement, what diameter of round pipe is required for a kitchen exhaust fan to move 2 000 cfm at 1 500 fpm?
A.6 in.
B.8 in.
C.12 in.
D.16 in.

11.What is the maximum allowable leakage for a 12-in. diameter duct, 250 ft. long with a leakage allowance of 6 cfm per 100 sq. ft. in surface area?

A.11.78 cfm
B.47.12 cfm
C.49.78 cfm
D.53.12 cfm

12.How much material would be required to cover a 12-in. round five-piece 90 elbow with a full throat and covered with 2 in. insulation and a 3/4 in. lap on the circumference of each gore?
A.28 5/8 in. 51 in.
B.33 3/8 in. 44 3/4 in.
C.35 3/16 in. 44 3/4 in.
D.38 3/16 in. 51 in.

13.What is the unit cooling capacity of a 3 100 cfm roof top unit with an economizer and an enthalpy difference of 6.5 Btu/lb. between the mixture air and the supply air?
A.1.80 tons
B.2.50 tons
C.6.75 tons
D.7.50 tons

14.A register is to deliver 500 cfm at a velocity pressure of 0.0126 in./wg and an AK factor of 70%. What is the register area?
A.123.32 sq. in.
B.176.17 sq. in.
C.182.89 sq. in.
D.228.80 sq. in.

15.A fan is designed to deliver 10 500 cfm (4 955 l/s) through a terminal reheat system when turning at 1 253 rpm. What corrective action should be taken if the measured fan performance is 9 960 cfm (4 700 l/s) when turning at 1 253 rpm?
A.Decrease the motor pulley size.
B.Increase the fan pulley size.
C.Tighten the fan belts.
D.Increase the motor pulley size.

16.How much material is required to fabricate an open chute 30 in. wide, with sides 12 in. high, to convey dust a vertical distance of 6 ft. and a horizontal distance of 10 ft. 4 3/4 in.?
A.30 sq. ft.
B.54 sq. ft.
C.74 sq. ft.
D.84 sq. ft.

17.What is the resulting mixture temperature if an economizer is allowing 2 000 cfm of 35F air to mix with the return air 8 000 cfm and 75F?
A.45F
B.50F
C.60F
D.65F

18.Air at 25C (77F) is capable of holding 144 grains of moisture, but is only holding 92. What is the current relative humidity?
A.32%
B.41%
C.64%
D.80%

19.What is the minimum number of support hangers required for installing roof gutters on a roof that measures 100 ft. in length?
A.23
B.26
C.30
D.34

20.What is the amount of fall when installing 45 ft. of gutter with a ratio of 1/8 in. per 10 ft.?
A.1/8 in.
B.3/8 in.
C.1/2 in.
D.9/16 in.

1.C
2.B
3.B
4.D
5.B
6.C
7.C
8.A
9.A
10.D
11.B
12.A
13.D
14.D
15.D
16.B
17.D
18.C
19.D
20.D

Don't ya'll need to know the height of the sq/rd in order to find the true lengths?? :) dupree
I just started skimming the questions and this one hit me like a brick. If this is what you have to put up with as a test it's no wonder there are about 20 pages about the "Red Seal" Test. I could be way off but would someone please let me in on it.

lawrencee
02-05-2011, 05:14 AM
when your making a square to round on center you only need 1/4 of the pattern to lay out the fitting because all four sides are the same.... everything else comes from this and as for the true lengths you can make your height what ever you want......as for a square to round straight one side you need a half pattern and for a square to round with round in one of the corners you would have to use a full view and lay out all 4 sides separate.

lawrencee
02-05-2011, 05:17 AM
and just so you know these are practice questions right from the red seal web site and i have another 83 questions that were actually on my exam if anyone was wondering what types of questions were on it.

cactassdupree
02-05-2011, 02:52 PM
when your making a square to round on center you only need 1/4 of the pattern to lay out the fitting because all four sides are the same.... everything else comes from this and as for the true lengths you can make your height what ever you want......as for a square to round straight one side you need a half pattern and for a square to round with round in one of the corners you would have to use a full view and lay out all 4 sides separate.

My point was that if you don't have a height you can't find the true length. I believe you need more than the info given. Just another opinion. I'll look more into the questions later. Please keep sending them they are very helpful and informative. ;) Dupree

lawrencee
02-05-2011, 03:58 PM
ya i knew what you were talking about but that's not what the question was asking it was talking about when drawing a square to round on center how much of the fitting do you have to draw? and the answer is definitely a quarter patter i spent the first 4 years of my apprenticeship on the bench and made these all the time

Rob
02-05-2011, 04:17 PM
Don't ya'll need to know the height of the sq/rd in order to find the true lengths?? :) dupree
I just started skimming the questions and this one hit me like a brick. If this is what you have to put up with as a test it's no wonder there are about 20 pages about the "Red Seal" Test. I could be way off but would someone please let me in on it.

These questions can be tricky.
They're not looking for the complete layout; the question only addresses the 'plan view' portion of the layout.

cactassdupree
02-06-2011, 09:54 AM
These questions can be tricky.
They're not looking for the complete layout; the question only addresses the 'plan view' portion of the layout.

First of all i don't want to get into a "P"in match about this #5 question. What is the MINMUM REQUIRMENT to layout a pattern for a sq/rd with a center taper? I know you only need 1/4 of the plan view, but to layout a pattern you need the height too. The test isn't tricky it's faulty. :) peace dupree

lawrencee
02-06-2011, 02:49 PM
lol you also need the size of the round and the square but they aren't asking for that they are saying out of these 4 answers what one is what you need ......lol your lookin way to far into this

cactassdupree
02-06-2011, 08:29 PM
lol you also need the size of the round and the square but they aren't asking for that they are saying out of these 4 answers what one is what you need ......lol your lookin way to far into this

If U have the 1/4 plan U would have this info. :) dupree

That's Y i said the test is faulty.

Rob
02-07-2011, 03:19 PM
First of all i don't want to get into a "P"in match about this #5 question. What is the MINMUM REQUIRMENT to layout a pattern for a sq/rd with a center taper? I know you only need 1/4 of the plan view, but to layout a pattern you need the height too. The test isn't tricky it's faulty. :) peace dupree

OK, you're right, the question is poorly worded.
However, I think that a person who is writing his journeyman's exam, after a 5 year apprenticeship and 3 rounds of college, would get the drift.
:)

cactassdupree
02-07-2011, 03:36 PM
OK, you're right, the question is poorly worded.
However, I think that a person who is writing his journeyman's exam, after a 5 year apprenticeship and 3 rounds of college, would get the drift.

i call a truce. :) dupree

mike39
02-08-2011, 02:44 PM
Greetings everyone. I'm new to the site, and I am looking for input on challenging the Red Seal Exam. I have found lots of useful information in this forum, but not much that makes me feel that confident about it. Any insight?

Rob
02-08-2011, 03:41 PM
Greetings everyone. I'm new to the site, and I am looking for input on challenging the Red Seal Exam. I have found lots of useful information in this forum, but not much that makes me feel that confident about it. Any insight?

Welcome to the site mike39.
Why do you not feel confident about challenging the exam?
Do you have any formal training?
:detective:

mike39
02-08-2011, 05:34 PM
Hi Dad, thanx for your reply. No, I have never received any formal training. I did spend about the first two years with a journeyman, but since then I have been a sub-contractor, primarily in new housing. I have almost 13 yrs experience, and close to 2500 installs, but I have always felt I was an installer, not a tinbasher. Now I find myself in a position where I am going to need to be able to pull permits and buy furnaces, and no one seems to want a 40 yr old apprentice with that much experience(nor do first year wages interest me much).

I know that there is a bunch of stuff I am missing in my training. I've never worked the bench really, so I will soon be trying to teach myself layout and pattern development. I haven't designed many systems, so right now I am teaching myself heat loss calculations and such.

I guess those are the two biggest things preventing me from attempting this at this time; the math and the layout. In hindsight, I probably should have tried to get indentured 13 yrs ago, but........
Also, the amount of formally trained people in this forum that failed on the first attempt is a little dis-concerting.

mike39
02-08-2011, 05:39 PM
Does anyone know if the 17 books offered for 4.99 are any good? The publication dates seem pretty old to be relevant, but I'll take any knowledge I can get.

mike39
02-08-2011, 05:57 PM
OK, another question. I can't seem to find a U value for residential walls. Is the U value of a 2x6 exterior wall(wood, insulation, poly) determined by the insulation?(In other words, is it an R value instead of a U value)

Bud
02-08-2011, 06:02 PM
(nearly)5000 pages for 5 bucks?

Don't worry about the download, You can read most of them for free...

http://www.thesheetmetalshop.com/module-htmlpages-display-pid-128.html

mike39
02-08-2011, 06:24 PM
Thanks Bud, I like free. I was just wondering how relevant a book written at the turn of last century was to what we do today, but I will definitely be refering to them as I attempt to fill in the holes in my training.

Rob
02-08-2011, 06:25 PM
Hi Dad, thanx for your reply. No, I have never received any formal training. I did spend about the first two years with a journeyman, but since then I have been a sub-contractor, primarily in new housing. I have almost 13 yrs experience, and close to 2500 installs, but I have always felt I was an installer, not a tinbasher. Now I find myself in a position where I am going to need to be able to pull permits and buy furnaces, and no one seems to want a 40 yr old apprentice with that much experience(nor do first year wages interest me much).

I know that there is a bunch of stuff I am missing in my training. I've never worked the bench really, so I will soon be trying to teach myself layout and pattern development. I haven't designed many systems, so right now I am teaching myself heat loss calculations and such.

I guess those are the two biggest things preventing me from attempting this at this time; the math and the layout. In hindsight, I probably should have tried to get indentured 13 yrs ago, but........
Also, the amount of formally trained people in this forum that failed on the first attempt is a little dis-concerting.

If all you've done is hang ductwork, it's going to be tough.

Does anyone know if the 17 books offered for 4.99 are any good? The publication dates seem pretty old to be relevant, but I'll take any knowledge I can get.

The best 5 bucks you'll ever spend.

OK, another question. I can't seem to find a U value for residential walls. Is the U value of a 2x6 exterior wall(wood, insulation, poly) determined by the insulation?(In other words, is it an R value instead of a U value)

R value is the resistance capacity of the envelope. (outside to in).
U value is the flow rate through the envelope. (inside to out).

Rob
02-09-2011, 05:50 PM
I have almost 13 yrs experience, and close to 2500 installs, but I have always felt I was an installer, not a tinbasher.

Piecework?
I've been down that road.
Are you in Ontario?

lawrencee
02-09-2011, 05:55 PM
hey to be quite honest with you mike there's not a whole lot on pattern development be able to pick out what pattern is for what fitting, know about square to round development and know about round 90's,know how to convert cfm to fpm,know what equivalent length is,know welding processes,what types of acids for different metal,be able to read a psychrometric chart,know about flashing and gutters.....oh and make sure you know Pythagorean thrum alot of questions use that

lawrencee
02-09-2011, 05:58 PM
i call a truce. :) dupree

i agree truce lol all this studying got my brain drained

mike39
02-09-2011, 06:17 PM
Hey Dad. Nope, not Ontario, Calgary. Wish it was Ontario, though. The tinners I met from there told me things were done quite a bit different out that way. From what I understood, a crew would go and rough in the house, getting everything to the basement, and then another crew(or sometimes the same crew) would come back at a later date, once the house was sealed, and install the furnace and ductwork. I was also told by ON. installers that their contract price on the basements was more than my contract price on the whole house. Never saw anyone from ON. stay in hew housing for long.

I rarely worked on concrete(only the high end builders poured their basement), went through fibreglass ladders like water, and misplaced numerous tools in water filled basements.

Sadly, the construction market in Calgary has all but dried up, so I have moved back to the interior of BC. Not much work here either.:(

Rob
02-09-2011, 06:35 PM
Hey Dad. Nope, not Ontario, Calgary. Wish it was Ontario, though. The tinners I met from there told me things were done quite a bit different out that way. From what I understood, a crew would go and rough in the house, getting everything to the basement, and then another crew(or sometimes the same crew) would come back at a later date, once the house was sealed, and install the furnace and ductwork. I was also told by ON. installers that their contract price on the basements was more than my contract price on the whole house. Never saw anyone from ON. stay in hew housing for long.

I rarely worked on concrete(only the high end builders poured their basement), went through fibreglass ladders like water, and misplaced numerous tools in water filled basements.

Sadly, the construction market in Calgary has all but dried up, so I have moved back to the interior of BC. Not much work here either.:(

The reason I asked about Ontario is because there is talk about a new 'residential' sheet metal license in the works.
It may have already been implemented.
I don't know the details, but I will update.
You and lawrencee should come to the Valley and help me.
I've got more work than I can handle.

mike39
02-09-2011, 06:40 PM
hey to be quite honest with you mike there's not a whole lot on pattern development be able to pick out what pattern is for what fitting, know about square to round development and know about round 90's,know how to convert cfm to fpm,know what equivalent length is,know welding processes,what types of acids for different metal,be able to read a psychrometric chart,know about flashing and gutters.....oh and make sure you know Pythagorean thrum alot of questions use that
Thanks Lawrence, that's helpful info. I have dove into a lot of reading on pattern development, and as soon as I can find a tremmel I'm going to make myself some construction paper fittings! It won't be hard to imagine it's sheet metal, and that will have to do until I can get some shop experience. The welding I'm not sure about, because I took it 20 some years ago in high school, and it is definitley not my forte. Some of that other stuff I have to look up though.
My biggest problem right now is heat loss calculations, and even if they're not on the test, I really want to know how to do this. I can pretty much size the duct from the very last heat run back, but furnace sizing was usually based on experience.

mike39
02-09-2011, 06:45 PM
The reason I asked about Ontario is because there is talk about a new 'residential' sheet metal license in the works.
It may have already been implemented.
I don't know the details, but I will update.
You and lawrencee should come to the Valley and help me.
I've got more work than I can handle.
That's very interesting, Dad. Please keep me informed, because that's right up my alley. I like my resi work!

mike39
02-10-2011, 02:48 PM
Hey, just found this online; haven't seen it in here yet. I've seen talk of grouping all these sample questions together, but I haven't found where that is yet, so I'm throwing it up here.

http://www.johnrwhite.net/Practice%20HVAC%20exam.html (http://www.johnrwhite.net/Practice%20HVAC%20exam.html)

lawrencee
02-10-2011, 03:07 PM
i have tried this exam and although good stuff the red seal one is better

http://www.red-seal.ca/images/SampleQuestion_SheetMetal.html

ive got a rewrite coming up on the 22 and they dont ask anything like the sample you put up that one must be from the states

mike39
02-10-2011, 05:28 PM
Thanks lawrencee. I'd have to agree with you on the test I put up. I think it is american. Still, some pretty good questions, and a few of them flat out stumped me.
Good luck on your re-write.

lawrencee
02-10-2011, 06:03 PM
i have a binder full of questions off my exam.... i wrote down when i got out of writing the first time.but i have my binder left at work today so i will bring it home tmw and i will post what ever questions i can over the week end so just keep checking in.i dont mind posting them up for you guys seeing all the help you all gave me in finding my answers to the questions i dident know.... thanks to all you guys

Stickman
02-10-2011, 06:47 PM
WOW....this thread is going on 5 yrs. old....might want to start a new one. :eek:

Bud
02-10-2011, 07:03 PM
Right. I'll figure out something here? How about a forum on Testing For industry and I can break that up into different sub forums?

Stickman
02-11-2011, 06:04 AM
Right. I'll figure out something here? How about a forum on Testing For industry and I can break that up into different sub forums?

Thats sounds like a good idea...definately a popular subject. I have been on some electronics forums where they get so old & long, that if you start at the beginning.....soon you are really confused :rolleyes: and forgot what you were reading about :D

cactassdupree
02-11-2011, 04:01 PM

That's a Great idea, as usual Bud. :) dupree

lawrencee
02-15-2011, 03:30 PM
hey guys i just posted 30 questions off my exam on the q and a part for the red seal let me know if they help or if you have any questions

johnnyc
03-05-2011, 02:50 PM
there is a question on there about a ship ventilator. What layout. the gores are triangulation but i thin the bottom straight piece of pipe would be considered parallel line. I chose paralell and triangulation

johnnyc
03-05-2011, 02:57 PM
also that question about minimum distance to a vav. in my area we use 3 x dia. of inlet. but i saw 4x on the test and chose it. I realy wish the government would put some backing behind a code book like SMACNA so we could get this stuff set in stone. Anyone know the correct answer to this question?

b.c.tinbasher
03-15-2011, 03:26 AM
I was taught that 4x duct diameter is the rule of thumb. I believe SMACNA recommends this as well.

Apprentice
04-02-2011, 02:47 PM
I was taught that 4x duct diameter is the rule of thumb. I believe SMACNA recommends this as well.

You are correct sir!

Apprentice
04-02-2011, 02:55 PM
I'm currently in the Advanced level of schooling. I have all my Hours done and can write the C of Q as soon as I'm done if I want.
I would like to know by experiance should I wait and study a little bit (like a month) or get it over with right after school?

rerry c
04-04-2011, 04:38 PM
anyone from canada planning to write an exam ...i know the exam is really hard a lot of calculation and print reading to get the answer on the test...i know most of the question covered to the whole exam coz i wrote mind a year ago...i got all the study book that all you need to past the test...just email me want you need to know ...
my emaile is elainetee2@hotmail.com what ever you have on the test would be a great help thanks rerry c

Apprentice
05-29-2011, 06:50 PM
I just wrote the test on Friday, and all I have to say is WOW!!
I never would have thought that the C of Q was going to be like that. I had a test that was heavy in math and roofing. The other Sheet Metal Apprentice that was in the same test said he had maybe 2 or 3 questions on roofing and was very lite in the math area.
I'm really hoping I passed, I think as it stands right now I should be pushing a 75% result..... Fingers crossed.

jangle29
06-08-2011, 07:58 AM
hey guys i just posted 30 questions off my exam on the q and a part for the red seal let me know if they help or if you have any questions
Hey Lawrence, sounds awesome that your helping people. I have to write my exam here in Halifax this saturday June 11th, and Im looking for some more questions if you have them. We have a pretty bad setup for apprenticeship/schooling so I feel a little behind the ball. The sample questions I have read already is stuff I have not touched in my life. The math and trig is easy to me, but Im wondering if you could message me and other info. Thanks if you get this in time.
Jordan

cactassdupree
06-08-2011, 07:59 PM
Hey Lawrence, sounds awesome that your helping people. I have to write my exam here in Halifax this saturday June 11th, and Im looking for some more questions if you have them. We have a pretty bad setup for apprenticeship/schooling so I feel a little behind the ball. The sample questions I have read already is stuff I have not touched in my life. The math and trig is easy to me, but Im wondering if you could message me and other info. Thanks if you get this in time.
Jordan

GOOD LUCK!! oh there ain't no luck about it. You'll do fine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jangle29
06-11-2011, 12:35 PM
Just wrote it today and Im pretty frustrated with it. I didnt know anything to do with units and problems with them. I also dont read blueprints because I run the shop and dont usually go on site, so that was hard. Studied a SHIT load and 95% of it wasnt on the test. Hoping for a pass though. Few questions I cant find answers to if someone knows
1- what do you do to stainless to keep it from cracking after welding? I think thats what it said
2- what solder to use with stainless in food industry?
I read a few answers
3- What does it means when peoples eyes are buring in a house?
is it a cracked manifold?
4- seams to use to make a square to round tap in? not even a fucking clue
5 - What is used on a parapet wall? no clue how it was used

jangle29
06-15-2011, 06:48 PM
ANNNNNNNNNND no need to be mad, I PASSED!

HANDYANDY
12-06-2011, 10:57 AM
Hey Guys, does anybody know where Lawrence posted his 30 questions. Getting ready to write soon. Thanks

HANDYANDY
12-06-2011, 11:09 AM
also does anybody know where the true length line is while laying out a round y branch?

Rob
12-09-2011, 06:34 PM
Getting ready to write soon. Thanks

Welcome to the site.
When do you write?
All the best from everyone here.

also does anybody know where the true length line is while laying out a round y branch?

A plan view of what you are trying to layout would help a lot.
Many different types of round y branches.

HANDYANDY
01-17-2012, 01:56 PM
does anyone know the steps for doing a wired edge?

HANDYANDY
01-17-2012, 01:57 PM
also the steps for doing a parapit wall?

rerry c
01-18-2012, 05:59 PM
my emaile is elainetee2@hotmail.com what ever you have on the test would be a great help i write in one month thanks rerry c nnnnnnnnnn nnnnnnn nnnnnnnn

rerry c
02-10-2012, 06:05 PM
im an older fellow not much good with computers , but any way im out of school about 25 years 9month preemployment and some night school at george brown i pritty well need every thing there is to know about the test i would greatly appriciate what ever you could send thanks. email is elainetee2@hotmail.com tks

CFP!
03-15-2012, 09:33 PM
Wowza, another class going through in t-minus 6 working days.

Gonna be nuts.

For the Canadian fellows, were there many of the "How many sheets of metal .....to clad this sized pipe" or "how many sq inches to make this curb times four?"

tomsheetmetal
12-27-2012, 05:28 PM
Hi everyone,
I'm new here. I was looking some information for sheet metal journeyman exam ("apprenticeship and industry training") and I found this forum.
So, I'm still looking something, questions, answers, books, everything, what could help me. I tried various tests online, but there are nothing similar, what was in exam. I found books from SAIT, but they cost about 600$ and still don't know if they could help me. I tried once, but unfortunately only 48% :mad:. Does somebody know something about that exam? or maybe have some books, other information? I will be very thankful.

Bud
12-27-2012, 07:01 PM
Welcome to the site, thanks for joining us.

Have you browsed this thread?

Try page 10 of this thread let us know if this helps you.

http://www.thesheetmetalshop.com/forum/showthread.php?t=749&page=10

tomsheetmetal
12-27-2012, 07:35 PM
Thank you BUD, I saw it already. There are just a few questions from 120. Not enough :(. Anyway, they will help me of course, just I need more.

CFP!
12-27-2012, 11:57 PM
Wow, randomly browsed the site again.

Red seal and hours are a go.

Our profs were bang on.

tomsheetmetal
01-04-2013, 01:15 PM
Hi Bud,
Thanks again for info. Could you help me with e few questions, please? I'm sorry I'm new (only 1y experience), so I'm trying to learn and to figure out about more things. I can't find the correct answer for these questions:
1. A Commercial Elbow 22x10 with a radius of 12'' requires only: (A. 1 Turning Vane) ?
b) 2 Turning Vanes
c) 3 Turning Vanes
d) None of the above

2. Does a Transition 24x10 reducing to 10x10 comply with SMACNA?
a)Yes
b) No

3. Which file removes the most material?
a. rat tail
b. single cut
c. double cut
d. mill cut

4. The top leaf of a hand brake should be adjusted back
a. 1 mat. thickness
b. 1.5 mat. thickness
c. 2 mat. thickness
d. 2.5 mat thickness

5. Boiler breeching should be angled__ per foot? (B. 1/4")
a. 1/8"
c. 3/8"
d. 1/2"

6. 10" rods on 3 on12 roof how long are rods 10 ft away?

7. For every 100' of gutter, there should be at least 2 downspouts on either end? (A. True) ?
b) False

8. Calculate the wedge to cut out of a circle to form the top of a china cap?
Is there any formula to calculate it or some specific numbers?

Also, I remember from my first exam, there were a few questions about ventilators, chimney, maintenance, problem solving with connectors, something about flexible connection, various holders etc. Could you recomend me where can I find some information on the internet? I know there is a lot of info, but where exactly it would be?
And it would be nice if somebody could put here more questions from the exam. They really help to learn, to prepare for the exam.
Thanks, I appreciate everyone's help here. It works.

Apprentice
01-04-2013, 01:51 PM
ok everyone, I'm back.
I feel ashamed to say I was out of the trade for nearly a year. Failing the C of Q twice took a toll on me. I'm back and have been doing metal again for 6 months. I have opened my books again and I write Monday.
I need all the questions you guys can give me......... HELP

Keithduncan1979@gmail.com

lawrencee
01-04-2013, 02:00 PM
hey tom all the question that i posted here http://www.thesheetmetalshop.com/forum/showthread.php?p=14512#post14512 are from my exam that i wrote last year.as soon as i got out i wrote down a bunch i could remember.

tomsheetmetal
01-04-2013, 02:30 PM
Thanks lawrencee, I took them already. It's a good stuff!
I'm just asking maybe somebody else has more different, it would be great.

Apprentice
01-05-2013, 01:37 PM
Thanks guys, I'm really stressing over this. I freak myself out when it comes to tests. Always have and always will.
Heres to hoping that Monday is diffrent.

tomsheetmetal
01-09-2013, 06:35 PM
Thanks guys, I'm really stressing over this. I freak myself out when it comes to tests. Always have and always will.
Heres to hoping that Monday is diffrent.

Hi Apprentice,
How did your exam go? what is the result (in your opinion)?
I got the letter, my the next exam will be 22. With notice, that I can try only 3 times, left 2 :(. It makes me nervous. I don't have enough information.

SKOT
01-12-2013, 10:49 AM
I'm writing my IP in 5 weeks and I may have some questions

SKOT

tomsheetmetal
01-12-2013, 12:03 PM
Hi Skot,

Could you send me please those questions by email: tom.cnd@gmail.com
Would be great. Thank you very much.

MadNinja
01-31-2014, 11:15 AM
[QUOTE=tomsheetmetal;15337]Hi Bud,
Could you help me with e few questions, please? I'm sorry I'm new (only 1y experience), so I'm trying to learn and to figure out about more things. I can't find the correct answer for these questions:

If you only have 1 year of experience then why are you writing the red seal? Haven't you gone to trade school?

device
01-31-2014, 02:57 PM
yeah i just read this why are you trying to get seal with only a year of exp? whats the point.. your going to be useless to any employer.. they will send you packing after a few weeks if you have your ticket and no xperience.. its just not wise.. with experience comes problem solving.. sheet mental is all about problem solving through experience..
you are doing yourself a great disservice..
if i hired a journeyman and sent them off to site and they could not perform like a they should they would be gone..it takes years of on the job training before you can even think about being a qualified tradesman.. the test is for apprentices not people who think they can just the jump the cue to the front and write it and boom your a journeyman!

think about it.. ! you will have a hard time finding a steady job ..not good for workplace reputaion also.. challenged the test.. didnt do the time..

imo .. i dont have respect for that and i dont think you will find many others in the trades that will give you the creds.. i find it actually a little insulting that someone can think they go in and write and exame and boom journeyman.. i worked to hard for that to make any kind of sense to me at all..

you get no help from me boo hooo!

and no soup for you either!