PDA

View Full Version : Trammel points

jw05450
09-22-2009, 12:35 PM
Bud where did you get your trammel points that you use in your elbow video.Looking for a set that i can put a marker on it.

Jason

bordontn2
09-22-2009, 08:19 PM
jw05450.............I bought a set at Lowes..Mounted on a 3/8x24"-36" plastic rod
which can be replaced with a longer wood dowel..one end has a steel point, the other a clamp with
a pencil..I modified mine to accept a fine point magic marker..both ends are movable..I'm thinking the
end with the pencil also has a steel scribe..............
bordontn2

Bud
09-22-2009, 08:23 PM
Customed designed and made from an old pair I had lying around- you can't buy those yet :(

jw05450
09-23-2009, 10:13 AM
ok thanks

oldtimer58
04-06-2010, 01:59 PM
Hey jw,
I made my own trammels when I was an apprentice.They have served me well.
First you need to get a couple of those threaded pins from the Hilti guy(these are the pins used in those powder-actuated guns to shoot into steel beams:they are threaded on one end{1/4-20} and pointed on the other and about 2" long)
I used 2 pcs.of 1/4" square rod 25" long. Drill a hole in one end of each piece,tap it for 1/4-20 thread, screw in the inserts and secure them with nuts top and bottom.
for the adjustment piece, get a piece of band that comes around the skids of metal that come into the shop.(use the wide stuff,1 1/2-1 /3/4 wide I think).
Now heres the tricky part. you will have to layout a cofortable radius on a piece of scrap,
it needs to be about as wide as you can reach with your thumb and pinky,next lay the 2 pcs of sq rod over the arc you swung: the will give you a rough idea how LONG the hole in the band iron needs to be,the hole will be 1/4" wide the other way.( so in the flat on the piece strap, you need to layout two holes 1/4"x what ever length you determine, X inches apart)
Take and appropriate size bit and drill out most of the waste:work to the inside of your lines so you will have some room for adjustment.
when you have the holes mostly roughed out,make a couple of bends, one up,one down,about 3/4" each to form a place for your fingers to grab to adjust the trammels, then roll the strap to the radius you drew earlier(go a little tight, this will help keep the whole tight together).
Try sliding the 2 rods into the hole, adjust with the file until the strap slides up and down the rods easily but not too easily. This will loosen up over time.
All that's left is to start drawing arcs.
the lenght of 24" may seem small at first but it has allowed me to do 85% of what Ive needed to do over the years. for anything larger Ive made somethign else for that and that's a subject for another time!
Hope this helps! Questions? ask. I'll try to get a picture up soon.
BTW those threaded inserts also make an excellent punch as well. Thread a 1/4-20 hole in the end of a 3/8 or 1/2" round rod , lock it in place. The hole left by the punch will be the perfect size to hold a #8 sheet metal screw, in case you ever need to run one in with a screw or nut driver and can't get a drill and chuck in there.
Good Luck
Bill

john_galt
04-06-2010, 04:05 PM
That's good stuff,thanks oldtimer.

Bud
04-06-2010, 04:16 PM
I actually modified a set I had with a couple electrical couplings...I'll show a close up later. One small weld joint and one knew someone that could mill out one end for me...

Metalmechanic
12-11-2012, 04:46 PM
I've a Brown & Sharpe with a metal beam and extention. It has the look and 'feel' of a quality tool. It will swing about 36"
Larry

device
12-12-2012, 02:29 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Malco-Products-TR42-Trammel-Points/dp/B001B0WJSE
i use these work quite well

larson1951
12-13-2012, 03:43 AM
the two types at the top are the best trammels i have used
they are durable and very easy to set and fine tune extremely accurate......
.....and they hold
they can be put on a hardwood stick of any length
i have several sets for 30 years and they work fine
steve

The_Blacksmith
01-02-2013, 09:02 AM
This is a set of trammel points I made many years ago as an apprentice. One set will adjust 4" to 18". The second set will adjust 6" to 32". Any larger, I'll use standard trammel points mounted to stick or aluminum bar.

larson1951
01-02-2013, 10:19 AM
here are my most accurate and are very easy to fine tune these are General #520 trammels also shown are new set in the box

next two images are another type made by General they have a different type of fine adjustment which works very well
the point is offset so it can be rotated one half turn and gives up to a 1/8"
adjustment or anywhere in between you can see where the first image shows the point on the line the 2nd image shows the point has been turned one half turn and it is almost 1/8" away from the line

the last two images are some cheapies i have not used but they will hold pencil lead if needed

The_Blacksmith
01-02-2013, 01:02 PM
Hey Steve,

Those by general are what I use if I'm needing to go beyond 32". Any dimension less than that, I use my homemade points or dividers.

Danny

larson1951
01-02-2013, 02:12 PM
Hey Steve,

Those by general are what I use if I'm needing to go beyond 32". Any dimension less than that, I use my homemade points or dividers.

Danny

hey hey Danny,
thanks for looking at my thread
larson1951

The_Blacksmith
01-03-2013, 02:40 AM
Hey Steve...
Always good to look at threads/posts that are relevant to sheet metal!

roofermarc
01-03-2013, 07:44 AM
I have a pair or set, of those Generals, I think mine are polished though. I don't use them often but when I do, I sure do enjoy them.